Add Google Adsense to your Single Page Web Application
There is a simple but intelligent way to monetize your website by adding Google AdSense. Your idea, effort, design thinking will be getting paid. In this blog, I am going to discuss the few essentials points which I learned by myself regarding the Google Adsense program and enabling it for my website.
Google AdSense can be added on any website. But ...
I would recommend, adsense should be added only those website which are not selling any product.
What is Google AdSense?
- Google Adsense is an advertising network runs by google. It's a freeway for websites to make money by displaying Google advertisements on their sites.
Create a Single-page Application & get access to the Google Adsense portal
Currently, I am using an angular application to installing/adding Adsense. Angular application has been created using ng-CLI (ng new Adsense-demo) and build the application.
Then signing in to the Google Adsense portal, and you will get an AdSense code that needs to be placed on the index.html page on the head section. Once done you need to deploy the application in your custom domain (HTTPS / SSL certificate embedded) and verify the code in the Adsense account. You will see your application status is 'Under review' like the below screenshot.
Navigate to Account > Settings menu in AdSense portal, and update 'Account Information & 'Personal Settings' both and verify once again before leaving the page.
Check your site presence in Google Search Results (Configure SEO for your Application)
Now, it's time to enable your application to google search results. There is two way to configure your application visibility to google and for angular, there is a library called Angular Universal takes care of your search engine optimization functionality.
- If you are using Server Side Rendering (SSR), you do need to run a server in a hosting environment. Let's say, I am using AWS to host my application. So, I do need to run EC2 or lambda function to be configured with Nginx and run the application in the container to leveraging SEO. The process is a bit costly as you need to run an EC2 container all time.
- You can also implement prerendering functionality using Angular Universal. And the output dist folder will have all route paths and a static HTML file will be placed there. In that case, the application performance will be high, and the application can be hosted statically using the S3 bucket under the AWS cloud.
There are a couple of blogs, I had written earlier. If you are interested to learn about Angular Universal and prerender configuration, you can follow the below links for more details.
- SEO Enablement to an Angular application
- SEO friendly URL creation with Angular 9 by Angular Universal and Prerender strategy
Adsense Error Details or Warnings, Detail Explanation & workaround solutions
Once your web application is ready for applying AdSense, you might face rejection from Adsense due to many reasons like below-
There could be many more other reasons not to get AdSense approval, like
- Looks like your site https://lazypandatech.com wasn't ready for AdSense because it didn't have enough content.
- Valuable inventory: Scraped content
- Site down or unavailable
- Valuable inventory: Under construction
- Site Behavior: Navigation
If you ever received any note like the above from Google Adsense, then you definitely need to fix something in your web portal before applying it again. There are few points you have had to keep in mind before applying for Adsense. Let me explain those, which I have self-learned after getting so many rejections at least 7 - 8 times.
Auto Ads Or Manual Ads: What to setup?
After approving your AdSense account, you need to add the ads.txt file in your project root directory. ads.txt file you will get from the Google AdSense portal itself. It will take some time to get it acknowledged to google.
For Angular your need to place the ads.txt file under the src folder and update angular.json file assets key value, like below -
assets:["src/ads.txt", "src/robots.txt", "src/sitemap.xml", "src/assets"]
You can choose manual ads or enable auto ads for your portal.
In my understanding, Auto Ads are good than Manual Ads, as few screens, I might choose only 2 or 3 manual ads to show as I want to clean my content visible properly. But Auto ads will check the place, if required, it will place ads 2 times or more than 2 times as well as it can understand where the user clicks much and what area user is focusing more in my content, and only on that place google add its ad. So in that case, the auto ad could be good. But after all it's all your choice.
Timeline: Coding start, Request for Adsense approval, Rejection and Rejections finally Approval
If you could count the time and month, I have been waiting a long time to get approval and I keep working on my blog. So keeping patience and focus on the goal is really important. When I got the final email from google that my account has been approved, I was really happy. My first milestone has been achieved. After Adsense approval, it takes another 2 -3 days to show the first ad on my web application.
How to add Google Adsense script dynamically inside of your article
To understand more on this you can follow the below article.
Hopefully, my experience might help others, but it is a pleasure to know my portal is now under monetization.
- Lazy Panda